Author: Reshama Shaikh
- Event website: pymc-data-umbrella.xyz
- Date of event: Thursday, March 30, 2023
- Time of event: 10am to 1pm ET
High Level Summary
Number of participants who:
- Registered: 19
- Attended: 9 (4 women; 5 men)
- Mentors: 6 (3 women; 3 men)
- Countries represented: 9
|Group||Number of People||Gender||Country|
|Data Umbrella||2 (Beryl, Sangam)||W, M||Kenya, India|
|Data Umbrella & PyMC||2 (Reshama, Sandra)||W, W||USA, Germany|
|PyMC||2 (Oriol, Christian)||M, M||Spain, USA|
|Community Members||9||5M, 4W||USA (5), Canada, France, Ghana, Nigeria|
The PyMC open source working session was organized by Data Umbrella to increase the participation of underrepresented persons in open source, python and data science.
This event was supported by:
- Google Open Source
- Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (2-year Communities of Practice grant)
Pull Requests Submitted
Add contributor info to event website
- @symeneses, @alporter08 pymc-data-umbrella PR#219 (merged)
- @reshamas, @vsaitejaswie pymc-data-umbrella PR#221 (merged)
- @SangamSwadiK, @iykat pymc-data-umbrella PR#224 (merged)
Doc / Code contributions
- @SangamSwadiK, @iykat pymc PR#6635 (merged)
- @symeneses, @alporter08 pymc PR#6638 (merged)
- @BerylKanali, @Monsurat-Onabajo pymc-examples PR#538 (merged)
- @iykat pymc PR#6635 (open)
- @daniel-saunders-phil [pymc PR#6609](https://github.com/pymc-devs/pymc/pull/6609 (open) joined April 2023 study group
Resources Created for the Sprint
- Ben Meares of the PyMC Team set up a Gitpod container for the pymc repository.
- Sangam SwadiK tested the Gitpod container.
- Reshama Shaikh wrote up instructions, Using Gitpot to Contribute to PyMC.
- Reshama Shaikh created a video on How to Contribute to PyMC Using Gitpod.
- Oriol Abril Pla and Sandra Yojana Meneses worked together to set up the event website so it could be translated using the platform Transifex.
- Reshama Shaikh wrote up Language Instructions so contributors could submit translations using Transifex.
We would like to thank all the community members who contributed to translating the website to Spanish or Portuguese:
- Sandra Yojana Meneses
- Cristina Mulas Lopez
- Ariel Silvio Norberto Ramos
- Alberto Mario Ceballos-Arroyo
- Jose Rafael Camejo
- Juliana Almeida
- Cristián Maureira-Fredes
- Anavelyz Perez
- César Herrera
- Barbara Graniello Batlle
- Cristina Zenteno
- Leonardo Gomez
Participants worked in pairs. We paired experienced contributors with new contributors.
- No participants joined from Latin America, though ~10 people from Latin American did register for the event.
- We expect that the website translations, particularly in Spanish, will be beneficial for the community, even after this event.
What’s Next: Maintaining the Momentum
We have already seen a few event participants continue to contribute after the event.
We hope to maintain the momentum by holding casual monthly “study groups” on Discord to continue contributing to PyMC.
Social Media Promotion
Below are some of the social media announcements on the open source working sessions.
🧵— Data Umbrella (@DataUmbrella) March 2, 2023
📣Join us: *online* working session to contribute to @pymc_devs #oss
👉🏽with a focus on underrepresented persons in #DataScience & Latin America
🗓️ Mar 30, 2023: 15-18:00 UTC
Submit a registration form:https://t.co/ex9GnULvGl pic.twitter.com/xQRlivsW3o
We thank the Data Umbrella & PyMC organizers who created the website, created event documents, conducted outreach, marketing and so much more!
- Reshama Shaikh
- Beryl Kanali
- Sandra Meneses
- Cristina Mulas Lopez
- Christian Luhmann
- Oriol Abril Pla
- Sangam SwadiK
- PyMC sprints organized by Data Umbrella
- Report: Data Umbrella & PyMC July-August 2022 Open Source Sessions
- Report: Reflections on the Data Umbrella PyMC February 2022 Sprint
- Interview with Sandra Meneses: Contributing to PyMC
- Data Umbrella scikit-learn Sprint Reports
- [no addendums or updates at the time of publication]